Monday 29 December 2008

Santa Delivers the Goods



I've not updated in a while, been spending my time eating turkey and doing other festive things. Plus, the room I normally take my outfit photos in has been taken over by my brother for the holidays. All shall get back to normal soon though. Above is my lame, but cute, attempt at a Christmas tree decoration. Yes, it is a ball of cotton wool with glitter on it, and yes, I am proud of him! He's like a little ghost with a halo hiding away in the tree. Look how happy he is! Anyway, I'm sure you're all dying to know what I wore on the big day (that was sarcasm)...I kept it simple, and not too tight, my belly had some expanding to do, so belts were a no no. The dress is from Topshop and the necklace is a vintage pommander. Fringe dresses are everywhere at the moment, but I know I'll be wearing this style for years to come, even when its not 'en vogue'. 

I got lots of lovely presents, the most exciting of which was one of my presents from my parents; an antique gold ring of my choosing. I've only recently branched out into wearing gold jewellery. I'm not sure why, but I was always adverse to it, which is ridiculous because jewellery can be nice whatever colour its metal setting. So I was on the hunt for a gold ring, as I didn't have one, specifically a gold ring with seed pearls. I tried on a few (and wanted them all) but settled for this one as I thought it was quite unusual looking, and it has the added interest of being a mourning ring with a section along the band for hair of the deceased. 


Two little seed pearls, one little diamond, some nice filigree work...it's all lovely. It's a piece from Chester, 1899, and thats all I know about it. As I mentioned, hair would have been braided and inserted into the ring, unfortunately the hair is missing from mine. The picture below shows the back of the ring where the hair would have been visible, and below is a picture I found demonstrating what the hair would have looked like. My parents thought it was all a bit morbid, but I think it's quite lovely. I do wish the hair was still there, but the ring is still pretty by itself. Oh I also read somewhere that pearls in Victorian mourning jewellery represent tears, which is rather sweet, and not at all morbid.  

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails